I came across an article on NPR the warnings of using wire grill brushes. In the article, they explore incidences where people swallowed pieces of a grill brush. That’s a scary thought! I’ve handled more grill brushes than most people will in their lifetime and to my knowledge I’ve never heard of such an problem thought I do see how it could happen.
In the fast pace restaurant setting, it’s possible to miss such a thing though the physics of how it could happen greatly reduces the chances of it happening. When a piece of wire breaks off the brush, it would simply fall into the fuel bay below unless it became lodged at a crosshatch of the grates.
Regardless of how common it is, keep your eyes on your grilling surfaces as well as your food. Some people don’t think to clean their brushes or even change them. When your brushes have gone beyond their normal lifespan, be sure to replace them. There really isn’t a guide as to how long a brush should last but you should always use the mantra of the Health Department: When in doubt, throw it out!